Saturday, April 3, 2010

Maybe I'm a Downer But...



I would like to take a moment and discuss the practice of expert picks and conventional wisdom in the field of predicting sports outcomes.

I am a huge fan of underdogs. I love nothing more than when it's said by a layman or by an expert that a given team "doesn't have a chance".

The NCAA tournament generally does not let me down in giving these nice folks to eat their words.

Here's the expert picks on this years NCAA tournament:

7 of 12 had ONE team in the final four

Four went with West Virginia, and three with Duke. No analyst had two of their selected teams make it into the final four of the tournament.

Now I know that's harsh to chide them for not having more success in a field of 64 teams, but all I heard this year was that the field was weak and the big schools from major conferences would have easy pickings. Fat lot of truth that turned out to be.

Maybe I'm just ticked the the University of Illinois did not make the tournament.

Yeah that's probably it.

No comments:

Post a Comment