Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gump Running

I have a few scenes in film that resonate with me for fairly personal reasons.

I would like to share them. Not the reasons, but the scenes.

The first one that always gives me a very good feeling is the running segment from Forrest Gump. I love when he is describing this period to Jenny at the end of the film.

"I just felt like Running." Another aspect of this scene is where people start following Forrest. It's not unlike when people dress like their favorite musicians or celebrities, or attempt to write like their favorite journalist instead of finding their own niche in life and being comfortable with what they are. People are always looking outside of themselves for an answer that will fill the void.

Forrest ran for himself. He thought as he ran. He didn't run from his problems, he ran as a method of resolving the inner turmoil he was feeling over the loss of his mother and Jenny's back and forth appearances in his life.



My other scene is the end of the Shawshank Redemption where the camera is panning over the Pacific Ocean as Red and Andy meet again.

Andy: ANDY: Tell you where I'd go. Zihuatanejo.
RED: Zihuatanejo?
ANDY: Mexico. Little place right on the Pacific. You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific? They say it has no memory. That's where I'd like to finish out my life, A warm place with no memory

No comments:

Post a Comment